With the 25th Anniversary of the animated movie The Lion King this year, we’re thinking about lions and tigers (and bears, oh my!). A live action version of the film will be released in July 19, 2019.
This cute lion themed food is ideal for celebrating The Lion King. It’s also perfect for Safari parties, learning about lions at school, or anticipating a trip to the zoo.
We’ve included our recipe for making pancakes, but feel free to use your own to create the pancake itself. In fact, a baking mix for pancakes works great, too!
Lion King Themed Pancakes Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cups milk
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter, melted but cooled slightly
Makes approximately 6 to 10 pancakes depending on size of pancake
- Whipped topping
- Clementine oranges, peeled and separated (2 for each lion)
- Chocolate licorice strips (1 for each lion, cut into 3 equal pieces and sliced in half lengthwise)
- Strawberry (½ for each lion)
- Chocolate chips or raisins (2 for each lion)
- Mini chocolate chips (6 for each lion), optional
In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Then, slowly add the butter.
Create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into the well and stir the batter until combined. There may be small lumps. Allow the batter to rest at least 5 minutes.
Heat a griddle to 300 degrees. Spritz with non-stick cooking spray for coat with additional butter prior to adding batter.
For the lion, pour about 1 cup on the griddle. When bubbles begin to break on the surface of the pancakes, flip and cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until completely cooked through.
To decorate the lion, place the pancake on a large plate.
Place two chocolate chips as eyes.