Want to find the super secret Easter eggs in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter? Then you need this guide to all of the fun finds in Harry Potter lands!
Secret places, hidden details and nods to former attractions are known as Easter eggs.
Why are they called Easter eggs? Because an Atari game manager twenty years ago said he liked hiding surprises in games because it made him feel like he was hunting for Easter eggs on Easter morning. And the term for hidden gems has been used for movies and in themed lands ever since.
Our guide tells you where to find all of these hidden details in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort, so you don’t have to miss out on any of them!
Be sure to see our Ultimate Guide to Harry Potter Wands to learn how you can cast spells through Harry Potter world!
Wizarding World of Harry Potter Easter Eggs
The former Jaws attraction was removed to make room for Kings Cross and Diagon Alley. There are many references from the ride and the movie in the Harry Potter land.
- Sharks teeth are in the windows of Borgin and Burkes, as well as the Apothecary, in Diagon Alley
- A crate from the former Jaws ride can be found in the Gringotts queue line under the stairs of Bill Weasley’s office
- Look in the Blacksmith’s shop for Jaws ride props
- In the record shop in King’s Cross, look in the window to see an album cover by the Quint Trio for “Here’s to swimmin with bow-legged women,” which was mentioned in the movie
- Telescopes in Wiseacres Wizarding Equipment are made with brass pieces of the Jaws attraction
- Also in Wiseacre’s the barometer is from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows movies
London Easter eggs
- At the red phone box in King’s Cross, pick up the phone and dial MAGIC (62442) to hear a funny message from the Ministry of Magic
- At the Knight Bus, the shrunken head will interact with you!
- The back of the Knight Bus is a real prop from the movies. Be sure to look inside.
- Look for the perfume ad in King’s Cross station. It looks like the one from Half Blood Prince.
- See Kreacher, the Black family’s house-elf, peeking out behind the curtains on the second floor at 12 Grimmauld Place in London, the meeting place of the Order Of The Phoenix. Look for the row of houses on the opposite end of King’s Cross Station.
- Ask Muggle Team Members if they know where Platform 9 3/4s is. You’ll be surprised at their response.
- Look for Hedwig on Platform 9 3/4s
- On Hogwarts Express from King’s Cross, you can watch people disappear through a brick wall on Platform 9 3/4s. This might be easier to see if someone from your party goes ahead while you watch.
- You can pass through the brick wall from King’s Cross to enter Diagon Alley at the right of the Leicester Square Underground Station
Related Post: 10 Magical Harry Potter Fanny Packs you need when visiting Universal Studios!
Diagon Alley Easter Eggs
Be sure to see our complete guide to the Best Things to Do in Diagon Alley!
- The Leaky Cauldron sign really does leak! (Leaky Cauldron is just one of the Harry Potter restaurants at Universal.)
- In Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes, you can hear the unicycling Professor Umbridge shouting “I Will Have Order!”
- Also in Wizard Wheezes, look at the skylight to see fireworks. If you are lucky, you could see some Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder on the second floor.
- You can trade U.S. currency (known as Muggle Money) for Gringott’s notes in Gringott’s Money Exchange. This Harry Potter land currency can be used in the two lands, and in select locations outside of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. (You can only exchange $10 or $20 denominations. You do not need to exchange money for use at Universal Orlando. This is just a fun thing to do, and can be kept as a souvenir if you would like.
- When exchanging money, ask the Goblin if he is a house-elf. He won’t be happy!!
- At The Daily Prophet, you can hear writers and typewriters working
- Inside Madame Maulkin’s Robes for All Occasions shop, look in the mirror. She will tell you what she thinks of your appearance.
- Also at Madame Malkins, you can find a white dress that has a pattern that moves on it.
- Look for original costumes worn by Professors Lockhart and McGonagall in Madame Malkin’s shop
- In the Magical Menagerie shop, listen for a snake talking in Parseltongue. You will find the snake in the window on the side of the building outside. Behind the snake, see rats performing tricks.
- Also in the Magical Menagerie store, see Luna’s mythical Crumple-Horned Snorkack. Be sure to look up to find it.
- In The Owl Post, look for owls in the rafters. You might even see some owl poop if you look hard. You might hear a Howler going off as you send your letter.
- At the window outside of Scribbulus, you will find a secret spell-casting spot not on the map
Hogsmeade Easter Eggs
- You can see shadows of elves moving in Three Broomsticks
- In the alley behind Honeydukes, you can see and hear dishes from Three Broomsticks washing themselves
- In the bathrooms in Hogsmeade, listen for Moaning Myrtle, the ghost of a Hogwarts student. Both the mens and women’s bathrooms having the moaning and wailing. They are located near the Hog’s Head Pub, under the “Public Conveniences” sign.
- As you walk past Dumbledore’s office, look up to see the Gryffindor sword
- Look through Dumbledore’s office to find magical gadgets, such as Pensieve
- Graffiti on the walls inside Hagrid’s Motorbike Adventure pays tribute to the previous Dueling Dragons ride, which was replaced with the Harry Potter ride
- When walking through Hogwarts Castle, listen for Neville getting a lecture on how to cast a spell as you pass the Potions classroom
- In line for Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, you can hear potted Mandrakes screaming as you walk past. This is in the greenhouse, right before entering the castle.
- When you leave the Forbidden Journey ride, you will pass through Filches Emporium of Confiscated Goods. You will, in fact, see confiscated goods in the shop, such as the Marauder’s Map which has moving footprints.
- Find the gillyweed seeds in the window of the Dogweed and Deathcap store.
- A moving mandrake can also be found in Dogweed and Deathcap’s store window.
- In Dominic Maestro’s Music Shop, see a cello playing itself and sheet music flying around
- At Gladrags Wizardwear shop, find a measuring tape cat in the window
- Inside the Hog’s Head pub, you can actually hear the hog’s head snarling
- At Scrivenshaft’s Quill Shop, there is a quill that writes the names of newly born wizarding babies. Look for it in the window.
Knockturn Alley Easter Eggs
- There are two entrances into Knockturn Alley. One is to the right of the Leaky Cauldron. The other is to the right of the Fountain of Fair Fortune. It can be easy to miss!
- Keep your eyes out for an occasional green flash in the basement below the outside window
- Listen for the shrunken heads singing “Show me the way to go home”
- You can find a secret spell-casting spot by the Shrunken heads that is not on the map
- Find the moving tattoos in the window
- Find the Boggart inside the trunk inside Borgin and Burkes. It shakes violently and can scare you if you’re not ready for it!
- Hear the bird inside the Vanishing Cabinet in Borgin and Burkes. This bird was used by Draco Malfoy to test sneaking Death Eaters into Hogwarts.
- Find the Hand of Glory from Chamber of Secrets
- Look for the cursed opal necklace that was given to Katie Bell, Harry Potter’s quidditch team mate.
- By the registers, look for the Vanishing Cabinet
- The majority of props on the second floor of Borgin and Burkes are from the Harry Potter films, according to Universal Studios
Want even more Harry Potter secrets? Check out these Siri iPhone Harry Potter Spells!